- Kate Artibee Sanctuary Pilates® Owner, Founder, Master Trainer, Doula, Yoga, Pilates
- “A day without hundreds is like a day without sunshine.”
- Kate’s joy in practicing yoga began in the 80’s when someone gave her the 1969 hardcover “Richard Hittleman’s Yoga 28 Day Exercise Program.” Through adolescence and her teen years, she practiced astanga intensely, and by 1997 was teaching Hatha in the style of Swami Sivananda, although some might argue Kate chose this style for its Bahamian beach teacher-training location.
- Kate’s pilates practice intensified in the late ‘90s throughout various studios in NYC. After undergoing teacher training at Power and later at PhysicalMind, Kate sought answers to questions that didn’t seem to exist and thus went on a long journey of workshops, teaching, and introspection. Among these are certifications from Doug Swenson in Astanga, Mia Borgatta in prenatal, and myriad anatomy, Bartinieff, Laban, Skinner Releasing, and advanced pilates teaching courses.
- Sanctuary Pilates® began as a small private practice in 2003, and in 2007, Kate developed the NYC schools holistic movement program and founded the accompanying non-profit Sanctuary In Schools, Inc. Kate developed a very unique prenatal teacher training program based on her training as a DONA doula (first birth attendance was 1992), prenatal yoga, and pilates teachings. Over the last 20+ years, she feels honored to have been involved in so many hundreds of beautiful pregnancies, births, and recoveries.
- A life-long lover of movement, Kate still enjoys playing on aerial apparatus. Kate was honored to be on the board of the American Center for Alexander Technique for several years, and holds a BFA in Puppetry from the University of Connecticut.
- Kate and Sanctuary Pilates® offer teacher trainings, workshops, and classes on both coasts and international retreats. Follow Kate on Instagram @sanctuarymama and Sanctuary @sanctuarypilates for all the where’s, how’s, and why’s.